Thursday, November 25, 2010

Final thoughts...

It's been 11 days since the end of the Lorena Ochoa Invitational, honestly I hadn't written anything about it because I had to clear my head. As you will notice, this entry differs from the previous ones, I tend to leave my opinion aside, something that will not happen this time. Having said that, Here are my final thoughts...


The golf course: as usual, it was spectacular. In great shape if you ask me, and I applaud the effort from all the people involved in the maintenance of the Guadalajara Country Club.

The organization: is obvious that the operations and logistics people have everything on sight. Seems like two years of experience with this same event, plus many more OSM has operated, have been the key to the proper functioning of the only LPGA tournament in Mexico.

The host: her game was not as consistent as people would have expected, and behind the scenes, Lorena seemed stressed, especially at the end of the first two rounds. I'm convinced of something: she thought this was a great opportunity to enjoy her event for the very first time, which is why Andres (her husband) caddied for her. The first round just made the rest of the tournament a nightmare, and with a star-studded field is difficult to get close to the lead after two very inconsistent days.

The media center: great attention, I was surprised by the wonderful job the volunteers did, as in previous years this area was solely attended by OSM's staff. A round of applause for the translator, this task is never easy, but he made it look pretty much like a kids' game.

 The winner: what a pleasant surprise! In Kyung Kim is one of the nicest and heart harming players I've ever met. As you probably know by now, she donated her $ 220,000 winner's check. Half of it will go to the Lorena Ochoa Foundation and the other half to a U.S. institution that hasn't been defined yet.

Fan and media favorite: Paula Creamer, by far. Before naming my reasons, I want to make clear that it's nothing personal against other players, but when you attend a press conference and one of the best golfers in the world speaks Spanish and interacts with the media, well, how can you compete with that? Now, take into consideration that during her autograph session she also spoke Spanish and smiled to everybody... Here, take a look and see for yourselves!

Property of Periódico Mural
blog comments powered by Disqus